In order to avoid falling asleep during this game, I took notes. I’ll just write on here the notes I took and then I’ll elaborate on them.
“Ronnie Brewer airball” Yeah that was disgusting.
“Steve ‘Swaggy P’ Novak” Novak was playing exactly like Nick Young of the Sixers tonight. He took a gross three off a dribble, but then hit one off the dribble a few possessions later. Novak expanding his game is a good thing, but I hope he doesn’t try and do too much. Novak’s role is not one of scoring, it is one of shooting. Novak dribbling too much and forcing shots is not good for anybody. Ultimately he’ll be fine. I think he is probably taking some shots he wouldn’t take in games that matter.
“Kurt just punched that guy in the balls” Yes, yes he did. Late in the first quarter, Maalik Wayns drove for a transition layup. Kurt Thomas, who had a 40 foot lead on Wayns, proceeded to punch him in the crotch area as Wayns completed the and-1. Thomas also had 3 fouls in 6 first half minutes.
“Iso Melo x 1000″ So the Knicks isolated Melo a bunch tonight. You’ll see a good amount of iso-Melo during the season, especially with Amar’e out. The Knicks clearly didn’t use much of the playbook in this game, so they just gave Melo a million touches.
” Thattababe Flight” I think I wrote this because Flight White hit a runner or something.
“Wayns just got pooped on by Copeland” Wayns tried to take a charge from Copeland and was obliterated by Copeland’s crotch. He left the game.
“Prigioni impressive on defense” A technician on defense, Prig Daddy (credit to Jared Dubin) was good on defense in the first half. He stole an inbounds pass and put some nice ball pressure on the Sixers guards in the halfcourt.
“Prigioni smooth passer” Prig Daddy is also a technician passing the ball. I love his two handed bounce passes in particular. Prigs made some great passes to guys coming off screens as well as in the pick and roll. Another strong showing for him.
“Felton airball” What is up with all the airballs tonight?
“Jason Kidd missed wide open 3. Sigh…”
“Jason Kidd bad pass. Sigh…”
“Knicks suck” <– This was true for most of this game. The Knicks didn’t defend well and they were sloppy and ineffective for most the game on offense.
“Woah! Kidd hit a 3!” This will always be surprising.
“The Knicks be Iso-ing Melo again”
“WTF Novak” After he missed two shots to open up the 4th
“WTF Melo!” After a Melo missed shot and technical foul and then a missed layup on the next possession.
So here are some of my thoughts on the game:
- I’m not worried about Novak’s terrible 2/9 night shooting the ball. It killed the Knicks in this game, but I think he’ll be fine moving forward.
- Ray Felton hit 5 three’s tonight, but don’t expect that consistently. A career 32% shooter from downtown, Felton likely won’t shoot a high percentage of 3’s. He never has and that isn’t his strength as a player. However, he will get a lot of open looks from three. We know teams are going to double Carmelo Anthony quite a bit which will give Felton open spot up opportunities. That is what happened tonight and Felton capitalized on it.
- As many noted on twitter, Ronnie Brewer looked quite big in his first game as a Knick. He needs to drop some of that weight as he looked way off tonight. He wasn’t all that quick and clearly didn’t have his legs under him. Part of that is the added weight he appears to have on his frame and part of that is the fact that he probably isn’t in basketball shape. Brewer won’t add anything offensively, so he needs to be up on his game defensively. If he’s not, he is basically useless.
- Flight White gives strong effort on defense. He doesn’t seem to be a great defender, but he gives consistent effort. I like that about him. His offense has yet to come around though, as he missed two open three’s tonight.
- The Knicks got out-rebounded 41-38 on the game. Expect that to be a trend all season, especially with Carmelo Anthony at the 4. This was not a good rebounding team last year and likely won’t be a good one this season.
- Copeland looked good on offense, showing off some sweet post moves and a nice outside jumper. He scored 15 points, but was a -14 on the night.
- Kurt Thomas and Jason Kidd looked mighty old and ineffective tonight. Not a good sign.
- It is amazing how much the Knicks will really be relying on JR Smith. New York sorely missed a second bonafide offensive option tonight. With Amar’e Stoudemire out with his
bulging dickknee injury, the Knicks will have to really be on their game offensively to win games. New York is not an offensive juggernaut. They need JR Smith, make no mistake about it.
- Tyson and Prigioni are just two cool dudes. Thats all I have to say about that.
- Note: I’m watching Repo Games while writing this. The guy asks people trivia questions to determine whether their vehicles will be repossessed or not. He asked “What continent are Italy and France on?” After 5 minutes of deliberation, the two people playing the game answered with “East.” … I pray for America sometimes.
- Also, Melo is 2/15 from downtown in the last two pre-season games he has played in. I’ve written on here that he should shoot fewer threes this season. You can’t take anything from two games, especially two preseason games, but it is something to keep an eye on.
Follow Taylor on Twitter @tarmosino
Like Meloship of the Ring on Facebook