Jeremy Lin is out for 6 weeks with a meniscus. For those of you that don’t know anything about calendars, this means that he will, BEST CASE SCENARIO, return in the middle of may. The Knicks are pretty screwed right now. Stoudemire is out 2-4 weeks, Jeffries is still out and numerous other guys are hurt. They are the walking dead. I’m sorry, this team is not going to win anything in the playoffs. Unless Lin and Stoudemire miraculously come back and produce in the first round of the playoffs, the Knicks are almost a sure bet to be done. This sucks. Also, the Knicks and Cavs play tonight. I guess I’ll preview the game.
Here’s what to watch for:
- Kyrie Irving is out tonight. I guess that’s a good thing. He’s the best guy on the Cavaliers by a mile. Given the fact that its the Knicks, Cleveland will probably find a new superstar tonight. I fully expect Antawn Jamison to score 70 points. Varejao will grab 60 rebounds and Alonzo Gee will hit 7 three pointers. In all seriousness, the Knicks have to make Cleveland pay for having Irving out. The stationary bike, aka Baron Davis, will suck again in all likelihood. Mike Bibby is really old and Toney Douglas is really bad. Speaking of Toney Douglas…
- The Knicks will probably dust off Toney Douglas tonight. Lets see what he can do. He probably won’t do anything good, he’s been awful this season. I love Toney, but he’s been disgustingly bad this year. I have decent hopes for him next year, but I think he’s shot mentally this season and he’ll still be bad.
- It’s on your shoulders now, Melo. If the Knicks are going to make the playoffs, Melo has to be the guy to carry them. He wanted more touches and he’s going to get them. The Knicks have -3 other consistent options so they’ll be riding iso-Melo for the rest of the year. He’s being paid to score points and lead the team and he has to do that now.
- The Knicks have to win defensively. They can’t score, so they’re going to have to defend at an elite level. They won’t score 110 points a game, not that they were anyways, so they’re going to have to start giving up 80-85 per game. Given their lack of offensive weapons, 80-85 points may be enough to beat the Knicks. I’m pretty worried about the Knick offense because they have no consistent weapons right now.
- Here’s a song to symbolize how all Knick fans should feel: